The following is a partial list of projects our company has successfully completed over the years:
The McClellan Gate at Arlington National Cemetery,
for the National Park Service: Cleaning and restoration of this historic
red stone structure. Due to our technical expertise and demonstrated
success in the restoration field, our company was selected from over
50 pre-qualified bidders from around the US.
Lower Town, Harper's Ferry, WV, for the National Park Service: Interior and exterior restoration of seven buildings, as well as flood damage repair and restoration in the same area. These projects include:
- Civil War Museum, Lewis and Clark Bicentennial, High Street
- Armory Building “The Armory Pub”, Potomac Street
- Stone House Antiques, Potomac Street
- Master Armorer’s House, Shepherd Street
- Dry Goods Store and Storage Building, Shepherd Street
- Provost Marshal/Boarding House, Shepherd Street
- “Flood Museum”, Shepherd Street
- Public Facilities (Building 44), Shenandoah Street
- National Park Bookshop (Building 45), Shenandoah Street
Mumma House and Barn at Antietam National Battlefield, Sharpsburg, MD, for the National Park Service: Restoration of the interior and exterior brickwork and the plaster work of the farmhouse and restoration, reconstruction, and re-pointing of the stone work on the barn.
The National Cemetery at Grafton, WV: Repair and stabilization of the stone walls surrounding the cemetery.
The Conewago Chapel, Hanover, PA: Cleaning and stone repair to the red stone front and to all the sandstone. This Church is the oldest Catholic Basilica in the United States.
Trinity Lutheran Church, Hagerstown, MD: Complete restoration of the stone exterior and all the wood surfaces on the exterior.
Three stone arch bridges in Washington Co., MD: Repair, stabilization and re-pointing of these historic bridges.
The Iron Blast Furnace, Lonaconing, MD: Reconstruction, stabilization, cleaning and re-pointing of the stone and brickwork.
The Lincoln Speech Memorial at Gettysburg, PA: Installation of a masonry area around the structure.
Monument Restoration at Gettysburg National Park, Gettysburg, PA: Cleaning and repair of seventeen monuments throughout the Gettysburg National Battlefield Park.
Loudoun County Courthouse, Leesburg, VA: Construction of a new courthouse and restoration of the old one in Leesburg.
Oatlands, Leesburg (VA) Historic Trust: Repair and stabilization of the stone and brick garden walls around the estate.
The Visitors’ Center, Antietam National Battlefield: Construction of the new stone visitors' center.
Washington County Court House, Hagerstown, MD: Complete restoration of the masonry brick exterior.
Nicol/William House, Harper's Ferry, WV: Repair and stabilization of the house, for the National Park Service.
Schifferstadt House, Frederick MD: Restoration of the exterior brick masonry of the oldest house in Frederick County.
Waterwheel, Shepherdstown, WV: The repair, stabilization and restoration of the oldest and largest overshoot waterwheel in the U.S., owned by Ira Glackins
Conner House, Manassas Park, VA: Repair and restoration of an historic red stone building used, at various times, by both sides during the Civil War.
Fat Oxen, Mt. Airy, MD: Repair, re-construction and restoration of an historic brick manor house, the oldest such building in Frederick County.
Hoffman Residence, Clear Spring, MD: A notably upscale new home, which features elaborate interior and exterior sandstone designs and details, in a distinctive western style.
Old Bohemia Church, Warwick, MD: Repair and restoration of brick rectory and the sacristy which are attached to the oldest Roman Catholic church in Maryland, established in 1694.
Scarborough Library, Shepherd University, Shepherdstown, WV: Complete restoration of brick, stone and pre-cast elements on the building exterior; new construction of donor walls and a stone wall surrounding a new brick plaza.
CSX/MARC Layover Facility, Martinsburg, WV: Complete restoration of an historic brick train station.
Springfield Farm, Williamsport, MD: Complete masonry restoration of a large brick manor house, the earliest portion of which was constructed in the 1750’s.
Blackert Cabin, Glenwood MD: Restoration of a log structure built in 1742, including chinking and daubing of the log system (interior and exterior), as well as restoration of the stone foundation and an interior fireplace.
Broadfording Road Bridge, Hagerstown MD: The reconstruction of a large portion of this four-arch stone bridge over the Conococheague Creek (circa 1830), as well as the cleaning and re-pointing of the remaining stone work on the bridge and its stone wall approaches.
Berns Residence, Keedysville, MD: Restoration of original stone walls, cooking fire place and log walls in one of the oldest houses in southern Washington County. Sandstone and flagstone construction on new patios, porches and retaining walls.
Clay Hill Farm, Charles Town, WV: Interior and exterior brick and stone restoration, including eight brick and stone fireplaces, on a traditional manor house (circa 1820).
Reynolds Hall, Shepherd University, Shepherdstown, WV: Removal of the entire north wall and a portion of the east wall of the building (+/- 100 linear feet; basement plus two upper floors; 24”-36” stone foundation, multi-wythe brick bearing wall). Reconstruction of these walls (24” CMU foundation with stone veneer above grade; CMU/brick cavity wall with 3” rigid insulation; intricate brick and stone details on corners and three pilasters).
In addition to the foregoing list of projects, our company has restored over seventy-five churches and more than one hundred structures that are listed on national and regional historic registries.
Experience, fine workmanship and attention to detail are the cornerstones of Gruber quality!